DABDig Forums
register | my profile | my bookmarks | my notifications | search | faqs
Show topics:     

Note: You must be registered in order to post a topic or reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Post reply to topic:  Windows scripting problem

Your User Name:
Your Password:    Forgotten your password?
Insert a smile Insert a frown Insert a big grin Insert a wink Insert a razz (stick out tongue) Insert a snore Insert roll eyes Insert mad Insert evil Insert a clown Insert a blush Insert kisses Insert an eek! Insert cool   Add other emotions to your message    
Add other Forum Code to your message
  Remember Me: uses a cookie to remember your login details.
Signature: adds your profile signature to the end.
Automatically parse URLs: automatically converts internet addresses into forum code.
Email Notification: get emails sent to you whenever someone replies.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
aardvark

I am just trying to set up DagDig with DigiTV and DigiGuide. when I right click and select 'record with DabDig' I get the following error: c:\{path}\dabdig.vbe Line 524 Char 1 Active X component can't create object 'Scripting.Dictionary' 800A01AD Microsoft VB Script runtime error.

I use Windows XP Sp2 and have Norton Internet Security installed.

Any ideas?Frown

R E C E N T    P O S T S     (newest first - Review the full topic)
Paul Webster

Glad it turned out to be simple 'cos I've got a full day today and diagnosing wierd Microsoft problems wasn't on the to-do list Wink

Thanks for the feedback - I think the "glue" analogy is one that I have used as well although I see it more like sticking plaster Big Grin

Paul Webster

DABDig creator

Paul666

Arr sorry, tosser mode on my part, did not set the partion letter for dvbviwer it was still c: when it should have been f:

Just to say dabdig is just amazing have been using it for a year now, cannot imagine not having it, its the glue that makes everything come together.

Thanx

Sorry - thanx for getting back

Edited by Paul666 on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 12:29:48 AM

Paul Webster

Damn ... I'll have another route around ... however, I suspect it is MS scripting playing up.

I'll make a new mini test program to try to reduce the problem to absolute minimum.

However, will probably not be before 11:00

Quick thought ...

I suspect that DVBViewer was not running when you started DABDig ... and DABDig tried to get it to run.

If so - can you repeat the test but have DVBViewer already running.

You might still get the error - but with a different line number.

Paul Webster

DABDig creator

Edited by Paul Webster on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 11:40:16 PM

Paul666

Hi,

Got the 800A01AD err when I try to setup recording

Script f:\{path}\dabdig.vbe

Line: 6052

Char: 7

Error: ActivX component can't create object: 'GetObject'

Code: 800A01AD

Source: Microsoft VBScript runtime error.

I am using windows 2000 server.

I did not have any problems with a previous version of DABDig (2.54b09) with the twinhan sw.

However I have just upgraded to DVBViewver and the latest DABDig. Eariler in the day I had done the same on my XP box, same card & DABDig vers & no prob.

Your VBtest runs OK, have regegistered everything and had a go at the reg key permission, thou as this a slightly different err I don't think that applicable.

Have installed latest scripting host but not as administrator but as a member of the administrators group.

I also get this err when loged on as administrator.

Any ideas?

Thanx

Paul Webster

Well done.

I was going to suggest trying RegMon and FileMon if you fancied a digging around inside Windows.

As for the Radio URL - looks like I let my documentation get ahead of the code.

I think I started to put it in because of a request from Bob Todey.

See this thread over on the WebScheduler forum.

The trick that I mentioned in that posting was to rename or renumber (depending of the setting of WebSchedulerTakeNum) the channel to include &cattype=5 at the end.

That appeared to work - so I was going to implement it directly in the code - but - I would then need a way for you to tell DABDig that the requested channel is a "radio" channel since DigiGuide doesn't pass that information across.

Looks like I didn't get around to that piece - but I could do it without too much hassle if needed.

Paul Webster

DABDig creator

Flusk

Finally managed to solve this strangeness. Big Grin

The problem was down to permissions on the HKCR/Scripting.Dictionary registry key. For some reason only readable by the Administrator. Permissions were also set for the HKCR root key to give Everyone full control. Malware has to be the suspect - but I do try and be very careful!

So now happily using DigiGuide - DabDig - WebScheduler - TwinHan

All seems well, except DabDig objects to the WebSchedulerURLRadio .ini param to force capture type 5 - but that's probably another thread or some more careful reading.

So thanks for your help, and to SysInternals for their marvellous RegMon tool that allowed me to diagnose the problem.

Paul Webster

Damn.

Another one to try ...

regsvr32 c:\Windows\System32\VBScript.dll

(change the path to the real location of your WBScript.dll if it doesn't work)

Another thought - were you logged in as the Windows Administrator account (rather than as a member of the Admin group) when you re-installed Windows Scripting Host?

Paul Webster

DABDig creator

Edited by Paul Webster on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 7:35:07 PM

Flusk

I managed to get back to having at least some basic VB scripting working, only through the magic of system restore.

Tried adding the declaration as you suggested, but still the same problems unfortunately - but thanks for trying anyway.

I'll see if I can research how to diagnose security problems like this, but I'm a VBScript newbie, so a bit of an uphill stuggle I expect.

Just glad I only have to program Unix computers to earn a living!

Paul Webster

Aha - ok - I had come across a couple of people, through searching the web, that had found that running various scripts as Administrator and non-Administrator (but member of Admin group) were getting the original error.

I didn't get a chance to try this suggestion out with aardvark - but ...

first get back to the starting point where you were getting the ActiveX error message using vbtest.vbs

then ... edit vbtest.vbs and inset an additional line at the top

Dim objStrings

If that makes it work from the non-admin account then there must be some special place that MS is storing undeclared variables and it is failing to write to it when the requestor is missing a particular permission.

Paul Webster

DABDig creator

Flusk

I was getting exactly the first error...

but I then tried re-installing Windows Script 5.6 and now I'm getting exactly the second error!

Yes I can repeat exactly with your test script.

I haven't tried the various other dll re-registering tricks, and I hadn't come across the other thread you mentioned. I am at work now, so some things to try later.

What my attempts to fix this have revealed is that it is likely to be a permissions problem. The Administrator user can run your script, but my usual Power User login can't. I tried putting my Power User in the Administrator Group but this didn't seem to help.

My suspicion is that some MS security update is having unintended effects on my PC's ability to run scripts.