DABDig Forums
register | my profile | my bookmarks | my notifications | search | faqs
Show topics:     
   All Forums
    All other devices
        can i trigger dabdig without digiguide?

Jump to:     
Bookmark This Topic | E-mail This Topic To A Friend   Previous Topic   Next Topic
Author Topic
aarons
Show this author's profile    Email the author of this post
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 22:29 Edit this message  Reply to this message with quotes  (IP Logged)

Hello

I've been 'improving' (!) my system for the first time in six months or so.

There's some programmes I want to record regularly, from international channels that aren't on Digiguide.

I've already set up mplayer to record any stream I ask.

So, I wrote a little batch file to launch DABdig, which contains the following code..

dabdig.vbe RECORD "KCRW" "Stream+Stream-http://www.kcrw.com/pls/kcrwsimulcast.pls" "Morning Becomes Eclectic" "%date:~-4,4%" "%date:~-7,2%" "%date:~-10,2%" "17" "00" "180" "" ""

That does the job perfectly - I schedule it using the Windows Task Scheduler - but the dos window that runs the batch file stays there for the entire duration of the recording.

This isn't really a DABdig question - it's more to do with launching programmes in Win XP - but I was wondering if you had any ideas of how I could launch DABdig in a more elegant way?

Paul Webster
Show this author's profile    Email the author of this post    Visit the author
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2006 - 10:20 Edit this message  Reply to this message with quotes  Delete this message  (IP Logged)

Perhaps preceding the dabdig.vbe with "start " (no quotes) might work (i.e. the batch file would continue to the next line and presumably exit).

Another approach would be to create a simple User Channel ... something like this ...

KCRW.tsv

18/7/2006<tab>1600<tab>180<tab>KCRW<tab>Morning Becomes Eclectic<tab>ENTERTAINMENT<tab><tab>

19/7/2006<tab>1600<tab>180<tab>KCRW<tab>Morning Becomes Eclectic<tab>ENTERTAINMENT<tab><tab>

etc

KCRW.dgc

################################################

# KCRW Listings

[info]

Name=someone

Email=someone@somewhere

HomeURL=http://somehwere

Description=KCRW

ChannelCount=1

[channel1]

Name=KCRW

DaysBetweenUpdates=4

LogoURL=file://KCRW.png

DataURL=file://KCRW.tsv

ChannelURL=http://www.kcrw.com

Paul Webster

DABDig creator

aarons
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 19:21 Edit this message  Reply to this message with quotes  Delete this message  (IP Logged)

thanks for the reply.

start was a good idea. it does the trick - but cscript.exe then launches a dos window of its own, so back to square one

will look into creating a simple user channel instead.

Paul Webster
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 19:51 Edit this message  Reply to this message with quotes  Delete this message  (IP Logged)

How about

cscript //b

dangerous though since you won't get anything if it goes wrong.

Does wscript.exe have the same problem?

Is there a Windows trick available to make it run minimised?

start /min

Paul Webster

DABDig creator

Edited by Paul Webster on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 2:53:33 PM

aarons
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 20:18 Edit this message  Reply to this message with quotes  Delete this message  (IP Logged)

i'm showing my lack of understanding here..

my command line starts 'dabdig.vbe', not cscript.exe (i presumed that dabdig called cscript) - so would that parameter do anything?

there is a windows trick to minimise the window - but minimising isn't really enough..

i do have a 3rd party programme that can hide a window, but i was trying to avoid that route

Paul Webster
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 01:05 Edit this message  Reply to this message with quotes  Delete this message  (IP Logged)

Re cscript/wscript - .vbe/.vbs files are handled by cscript.exe or wscript.exe - since you mentioned cscript then I presumed that you were launching it directly.

In any case - you can prefix dabdig.exe with cscript or wscript.

If start /min reduces the window to the task bar then what is the remaining problem?

Paul Webster

DABDig creator

Edited by Paul Webster on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 8:06:54 PM

aarons
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 20:36 Edit this message  Reply to this message with quotes  Delete this message  (IP Logged)

Magic!

The following code does the trick..

START wscript //b dabdig.vbe RECORD "KCRW" "Stream+Stream-http://www.kcrw.com/pls/kcrwsimulcast.pls" "Test" "%date:~-4,4%" "%date:~-7,2%" "%date:~-10,2%" "20" "34" "1" "" ""

The problem with minimising was that I have so many automated scripts running at some times (automatically encoding video and audio for my ipod) that my desktop becomes unusable. So I need to find ways of keeping them as out of the way as possible.

Thanks for the help, yet again!

Previous Topic   Next Topic

Admin/Moderator: Thread Management